07 September 2015

Butterfly Cards for DEBRA

It feels very strange for me to put "DEBRA" in my title, or in fact in any written form anywhere ~ you see, that is my name on my birth certificate, driver's licence, medical records etc.  However, I'm only ever known as "Deb", and whenever someone (usually my mother) cracks out a "Debra!", I'm usually in trouble!!!

Having said that, I'm sure I can overcome a bit of discomfort for the cause behind the acronym DEBRA, being the Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Association.  Epidermolysis Bullosa is a rare disease whereby the skin blisters and peels at the slightest touch. Living with EB has been likened to living with third degree burns. It is very painful, and sufferers must be bandaged every day with dressings to protect and medicate their wounds. Children who have this disease are often called 'butterfly children' because their skin is as fragile as a butterfly's wings.

I have recently begun making cards to send to DEBRA Australia. This is a not-for-profit, volunteer-based organisation that does not receive any direct Government funding. They use butterfly cards to thank sponsors and to send to the families of children affected by (EB).

Here are my first contributions
Butterfly Die is from Stampin' Up! ~ Butterflies Thinlits

Butterfly die is from Nini's Things ~ Butterfly Collection
Using one sheet each of two separate designs from the Stampin' Up! "Irresistibly Yours Specialty DSP", I sponged Distress Ink over the paper, cut the butterfly dies out of black cardstock, and also put Lutradur Medium (that had been tinted with Dylusions Spray Ink) behind the wings to show through the negative space and to capture the delicacy of the wings.  I was able to get six card-bases out of each sheet of DSP.  So that's 12 generic cards that are ready to be sent off.  I may very well do this again over the next couple of days so I can send a bigger batch of cards...

Deb.xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear any comments you may have about my work! Thanks for stopping by!