10 April 2016

Kraft+ April'16 Challenge - Kraftboard #2 with Black&White!

"Creativity takes Courage"

It's been a long time since I've joined in with Kraft+, but I couldn't resist the look of this month's challenge:
I took inspiration from the framed quotes, particularly "What's stopping you?".  I based my art journal page around the thought that "Creativity takes Courage" - here it is!
To create my kraft background, I ripped up some old kraft packing paper (the paper that comes with Stampin' Up! orders).  Using a gel medium, I stuck my ripped up pieces down to my journal page.  I alternated between smooth pieces and scrunched pieces to add dimension.  I also added some black and white chevron washi tape around the edge of my page to replicate a frame.

Once it was dry, I used a pallet knife and black gesso to add a large smear down the middle of the page.  I chose the pallet knife over a brush as I wanted to get the effect of the scrunch vs smooth texture I had created in the background.

I stencilled some opaque white texture paste through a cobblestone stencil to the top and bottom of the page.  I wasn't happy with the finish once it was dry (to me it wasn't white enough), so I touched it up with some Titanium White acrylic paint.

I grabbed a film frame chippy by 2crafty and heat-embossed it in black.  I then added some Tinby Designs Metallic Melts in 'Carbon Black' to give it some additional detail (hard to see in the photo).

Looking through my Tim Holtz "Small Talk" book, I found my exact quote "Creativity Takes Courage".  I grabbed both white ones and both black ones and planned to put them inside my frame - but how???  Lightbulb moment - the back of the packing from these books is in a Kraft colour - why not use some of the packing on my spread?!!  So I measured up my frame on some of the packing cardstock and put it all together.  I thought it might also be nice to use some extra bits of the packing cardstock elsewhere on my spread.  Before putting down my central piece (being the film frame), I added some black and white cotton thread for extra texture and interest).

Detail
I also used a random strip of white cardstock that had been torn, as well as some Stampin' Up! DSP to fill out the layers on my spread.

Taking my Sharpie White Paint Marker and Black Paint Marker, I added some journalling which I highlighted with the alternate colour in a shabby circle, as well as some small doodling bits.  Finally, I spattered white acrylic ink over the layout, added a few black enamel dots and some words ("be brave" and "create") from my Tim Holtz "Big Chat" book.

Thanks for visiting!
Deb.xx


3 comments:

  1. Deb this is brillant, love the use of the kraft paper, you have the creative courage to let go and it shows x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the repetition! It's like a mantra to create!!!! So many details on this and it just makes me want to create! Awesome job.
    Louise xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fabulous art journal page...inspiration you can look at each day! Thanks for joining us over @ Kraft+, hopefully this will keep you inspired till next month ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear any comments you may have about my work! Thanks for stopping by!